Call for Papers: The Intellectual legacy of Prof. Ali Mazrui and the Future of Reform and Renovation in Africa and Muslim World
International University of Africa (IUA)
Center for Research and African Studies
International Conference Announcement: Call for Papers
Topic: The Intellectual legacy of Prof. Ali Mazrui and the Future of Reform and Renovation in Africa and Muslim World
Date: December 26-27, 2018
Location: International University of Africa-Khartoum
Throughout history, many thinkers came to influence intellectual life and Islamic culture in Africa. These scholars were often revered and effected future scholarship and community practices. Among these names was Professor Ali Mazroui. His intellectual work appeared after the development of pan- Africanism. He was acquainted with the illustrations of Adord Blaiden, Badomu, and all the advocates of African unity. He witnessed the emergence of independent nations in the Islamic and African world. He viewed and emphasized the connections between Africanism and Arabism and Islam. Living in the West, Mazroui produced a hybrid-thought characterized by mediocrity and moderation.
He used the mechanisms of globalization and postmodernism in the development of his theory, and these global conditions are certainly important to account for in modern scholarship. It is hoped that in the future, cooperation will replace confrontation, requiring greater consensus and acceptance to revive the spirit of intellectual production and to uphold the values of tolerance, solidarity and harmony. The Center for Research and African Studies at the International University of Africa is organizing a global conference to consider the intellectual heritage of Mazroui and the future of reform and renewal in Africa and the Islamic world. It will host this conference and invite thinkers from all over the world to discuss the aforementioned matters.
The aims of the conference are to:
- Mark the year of celebration of African scientist.
- Re- read Ali Mazroui’s legacy in light of modern global changes
- Assess the biological approach of Ali Mazroui
- Consider the possibility of harmonious relations between Islam and Western civilization
- Discuss the agricultural vision of African university graduates
- Project Africa’s future assuming Mazroui’s perspective
- The Conference will address certain themes including the environment Mazroui grew up in, Mazroui’s family, academic career, and his promotion of Africa’s triple heritage. Further, the conference will focus on Islam and Islamic societies in East Africa, traditional African cultures, Christianity and African societies, and Colonialism and Liberal Movements in Al Mazroui’s thought.
- Problems of social and political development in Africa, the dynamic between globalization and new colonialism, and the issues and challenges facing the African continent will be discussed in light of Al Mazroui’s thought.
- The conference aims also to address the future of African and Asian societies, addressing issues of education, language and technology. Dialogue between civilizations and the role of Islam in the future of humanity are topics to be explored.
- The conference will highlight the proposal formulated by Al Mazroui himself regarding the care and development of his thought (full text in English – attached to this note)
Organizational Procedures for the Conference
- Submission of research abstracts within the limits of 300 words to the organizing committee of the Conference must be received no later than August 1st, 2018. Please send to the following e-mails: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proposed research will be evaluated by the Committee and authors of approved research need to submit completed copies of their papers no later than August 15th, 2018
- The Committee shall complete the necessary executive steps for the convening of the Conference no later than January 1st, 2019
- After the conference, the Organizing Committee will evaluate the research presented and select works for publication after reviewing and editing certain pieces. This publication is expected to be released before the end of 2019.
Conditions for Proposed Papers
- The paper should not have been presented previously at a conference, scientific symposium or published in a scientific journal.
- The paper should take into account the integrity of the language and the standards of the scientific method, while addressing the ideas within the conference themes presented above.
- The first page of the abstract should contain the name of the conference, its organizer, full address, researcher’s name, degree, exact e-mail, and phone number.
- The submitted material should not exceed 25 pages, A4 size, including references and supplements.
- The scientific material written in Arabic shall be accompanied by an abstract in English. A scientific article written in English or French must have an abstract in Arabic. The abstract should be limited to one page and a summary of the researcher’s biography should be provided.
- Submission of Abstracts: August 1st , 2018
- Notification of accepted Abstracts: August 15th, 2018
- Submission of Full paper: October 1st, 2018
- Date of final approval of participation October 30th, 2018
- Conference date: December 26-27th, 2018.
Scientific Committee Members:
- Hassan Makki Mohamed Ahmed- International University of Africa.
- Abdulrahman Ahmed Othman
- Abdul Rahim Ali Mohammed
- Professor Khider Haroun
- Abdul Latif Saeed
- Abdullah Ali Ibrahim
- Hassan Ahmed Ibrahim
- Ahmed Abdal-rahim
- Elnazeer Mohamed
- Ahmed Ali Salem
- Tareq Ahmed Osman
Conference organizers: Centre for Research and African studies, International University of Africa IUA.
We look forward to seeing you in Khartoum in December 2018!